Friday, July 24, 2009

Friday Feature: Nutmegclick

If you spend any time at all in the Etsy Etc Forum, you probably know Miss Nutmeg. She is always offering up advice and stories that you can sit there and read all day (not just because she is so verbose, but funny, insightful, helpful) I asked Miss Nutmeg if she would be kind enough to do an interview for my dear readers and she did. The following are her answers :)


Why don’t you start off by telling us where you are now (geographically) and how you got there?

I've always been enamoured of India's aesthetic, ever since I was a wee lass renting every Indian film I could from the local library. The colours, the smells, the way of living...all of these resonated deeply with me. As such, I didn't want India to be the first place to which I travelled - that would be like eating one's dessert before one's greens!

Traveling must be somewhere in my genes, since my papa was one of the original punk rockers and he often brought me with him to scamper around various parts of Europe with his band. I also travelled around somewhat in my teens, but first went abroad as an expatriate two months after my daughter was born. Mr.Nutmeg and I decided it was exigent that our wee one be exposed to as many cultures as possible, and we were also looking for further ways to expand our artistic endeavours.

Our first stop was to spend eight glorious months in Turkey, where we helped the production of a documentary about the world's first sedentary gypsy camp. Next was a brief spell in China to visit our dear friends there, and then on to the much-awaited land of India! We lived for six months on the southern tip restoring a traditional-style house which had sat abandoned for years, and then were snagged by the beautiful city of Hyderabad when we passed through it on an excursion. We decided on a whim to move our household here, and have yet to uncover all the wondrous sights and sounds the city has to offer.

What is your favorite meal?

It depends upon what country I'm in! In Turkey, it was ayran (a thin, watery preparation of yogurt) with the freshly-baked pretzels that old men would peddle from their brightly-painted carts...and maybe a persimmon or two. Here in India I love to experiment with all manner of curries, and in China it's momo, a steamed, vegetable-filled dumpling.

I'm also fond of seeing how various countries interpret the food of my homeland. I've eaten a lot of rice-based pancakes (with chocolate syrup, no less), but my favourite international muddle was when I was brought a dainty little plate containing four French Fries, all neatly lined up in a row with knife and fork.


Do you have any strange talents or gifts that others may not know about?

I can make up absurd little songs about anything under the sun at a moment's notice! They're usually fairly short ditties replete with grandiose hand motions. Our present favourite (which we burst into at sporadic moments throughout the day) is a droll little piece entitled 'Oysters and Snails'. I can also make stellar poetry by pushing words through internet-translation devices, and used to perform in the Atlanta Opera.

What kinds of music do you like to listen to?

Of course I've a soft spot for that ol' punk rock, but over the last few years I've been increasingly enamoured of classical music. Mr.Nutmeg is a classical organist, so I've been falling in love over and over again with Dietrich Buxtehude and Scarlatti, and also delight in Bach. Another of my passions is experimental music, having made assorted noises in various ensembles over the years, and I'll soon be composing a book which documents the socio-political connotations of Shanghai's noise music scene.

Where in the world haven’t you been that you would like to visit?

After we fulfill our goal of living in each Asian country, we've set our sights upon Romania. A fellow Etsian has told me they have really good propaganda posters there, and it seems like quite the fascinating place all-around. I also used to have a running joke in which I was married to a Romanian count, so who knows...perhaps I can reclaim my long-lost throne!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...