Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Vegetarian Gumbo - A Recipe

Two weeks or so ago Matt asked me to make him some gumbo and I finally got around to it. Now that classes are over and finals are taken care of, I have time to cook again!  I love it :)  I've made some delicious banana bread (or so I'm told, I don't actually like bananas, but my honey loves the bread) and have bought ingredients and supplies to continue making delicious, healthy meals.

Here is the recipe I used/invented for the gumbo, I used mostly what I had on hand and a few "specially bought" items.

T
This photo has most of the ingredients, but not all, the beans were in the crockpot, the okra on the stove, rice in the cooker, etc

Ingredients:
Large Onion - Chopped
Green and Red Bell Peppers - Chopped
Scallions - Chopped (I had them on hand, they needed to be eaten)
1 Cup Carrots - Chopped
4 Celery Stalks - Chopped
3 Cloves of Garlic  - Minced
2 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes
1 package (4) Tofurky Kielbasa - Cut length wise then sliced
2 Tbs Oil
1 10 oz package Okra
1 lb Kidney Beans (mine were dry so I cooked them accordingly first)
2 Cups Rice
2 Bay Leaves
Garlic Powder
Oregano
Thyme

  • Saute the onion and garlic until soft and yellow
  • Add Bell peppers, celery, carrots, scallions and tofurky and saute until tender
  • Add tomatoes, undrained and heat until boiling
  • Season as desired and lower heat to simmer for 45 minutes-ish
  • Cook rice on the side
  • When the 45 minutes-ish is up, add rice, okra and kidney beans and heat through
  • Serve with loaf of delicious bread 
 So clearly this makes a whole ton of gumbo, but its all good because the food is delicious, filling and pretty healthy.  It will also freeze well so you can make some and save it for later to avoid getting sick of it after eating it for a week straight hehe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, that looks tasty! Never seen Tofuky here though, shame. Did the bear arrive by the way? x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...