Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tuesday Learn To Knit Day 14 - The I-Cord

Hello My Dear Students,

I know I didn't really come back and teach you new things the next week like I said I would, I got incredibly busy and these lessons fell by the wayside.  I know.  For Shame.  I apologize profusely and hope to get these back on track. 

This week, we're learning the I-cord.  I was teaching my friend how to knit this the other night and knew that I must show you all! The I-cord is used for a variety of things including straps on bags and various embellishments.  It is also good for knitting jewelry and those sorts of things.

Basically, knitting an I-cord is knitting in the round on a very small scale.

You will need two double pointed needles and whatever yarn you are using.

First, cast on probably 3 or 4 stitches (the more stitches, the thicker the I-cord.  Many patterns call for a specific number, so I'll leave that to them and give you the basics).

Instead of knitting on the side that the last cast on stitch is on, you will slide the stitches to the other end of the needle and knit the first cast on stitch first, instead of the last.

Continue with the rest of the stitches on the needle and when you complete the row, slide the stitches back to the other side of the needle (I hear making the type-writer sound "Ching" while doing this makes it easier ;))
Continue in this fashion until the I-cord is as long as desired and bind off.


If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions, please feel free to let me know :)

1 comment:

Karin said...

hi Holly!
I took a little knitting break but I am back at it now.
I am about 10 lessons behind :)
But I successfully knitted and purled tonight. Yay!
thanks again for your great lessons, I am really enjoying learning to knit from you.

Karin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...